Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how P.S. 10R is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection. We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe. Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Last updated: November 20, 2020
Take a look at the precautions we are taking in order to keep our students and staff safe!
Remote learning will begin for all students on September 16, 17 and 18. In person learning for those that selected Blended Learning will begin on September 21, 2020 with Group A.
With these new modifications, groups have been re adjusted. Please disregard the previous communication on which groups your child has been placed in. You will be receiving a new notification shortly.
As a reminder if you have selected remote only you will have to wait until the second semester to switch back to blended learning or choose to continue with remote only.
Please know that we are putting health and safety of all of the Fort Hill Community first with all the plans that are being made.
Blended Learning Updates
- Fort Hill (P.S. 10) will follow the schedule 1B as outlined by the Chancellor's office. This schedule is a Blended Learning Model. Students will be assigned a group (Group A or Group B). Siblings will be assigned the same Group. Group A will always attend school in the building on Tuesday's and Wednesday's. Group B will always attend school on Thursday's and Friday's. The schedule will rotate on Monday's between either Group A or Group B. We will provide you that schedule once it is finalized and your child is assigned a Group. Therefore, if physical school does begin in September 10th, a Thursday, then Group B would be the one entering only on that day. On the days that students are not physically in the building they will be responsible for remote learning, on the Google Platform. Group sizes will range from 9-10 students in a Group.
Group D will be students whose parents/guardians have submitted a request via DOE survey for full 5 day remote only instruction. These students will not physically enter school building.
- The student day has been reduced from 6 hours and 20 minutes (a typical day 8:20 - 2:40) to 5 hours and 30 minutes. We are working closely to finalize a start time. Students will be eating breakfast and lunch in the classroom. The cafeteria will not be used for either breakfast or lunch when we return until further notice. Hence, there will be no early breakfast arrival. All students will eat once in classroom upon arrival.
- All students, staff and visitors will be required to wear a mask while in the building with the exception of breakfast and lunch. Anyone without a mask will not be permitted in the school building. Please continue to have the discussions with your child about the importance of this and the idea that trading masks, playing with masks off the face or refusing to wear the mask is not allowed.
- Temperatures will be taken daily. A structure for how this will be done on arrival is being worked on now. Students, visitors or staff that have a temperature deemed to be a fever will not be permitted to remain or enter the school building. Please ensure that if your child is not feeling well on the scheduled day to be in school, that they stay home.
- Classrooms will be arranged so that the students will have the appropriate required social distance while eating and engaging in activities. This will be extremely different from what they are use to in the past school years, as it is different for us as adults as well. However, our Fort Hill Family is strong and we persevere through any challenge.
- There has been guidance from the Chancellor in terms of what to do if there is a positive COVID case in the school. If there is a positive case confirmed (meaning took COVID test and was positive) the classroom of the positive case will be quarantined for 14 days.
The School schedules we have selected is as follows:
One in-person group, one remote (Group D)
In-person: Monday through Friday
Group D: Remote Only 5 days a week (families opted in)
*Group D is 100% remote.
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: All students, staff and visitors will be required to wear a mask while in the building with the exception of breakfast and lunch. Anyone without a mask will not be permitted in the school building. Please continue to have the discussions with your child about the importance of this and the idea that trading masks, playing with masks off the face or refusing to wear the mask is not allowed.
- Hand washing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Social Distancing: Social distancing is required at all times. Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home and notify the school. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you quarantine for a minimum of 14 days and notify the school.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
Remote Learning Expectations
During hybrid or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should check Google Classroom daily for important updates from their teachers.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time, appropriately dressed, and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.
We are committed to making sure that all students can successfully connect to online learning during their at-home learning days.
- If your student needs a laptop or tablet, fill out the Device Request Form to reserve your device. Borrowing a device is free!
- Technology Request: The NYC DOE district offices will be providing families in need with a technology device. In order for you to receive from the NYC DOE you will need to call 718-935-5100 and choose option 5 to request for a device.
- If your children experience internet-connectivity issues with their iPads, they can request help through the Technical Support for Families form.
- Borrowed devices should be used for school purposes only and kept in a secure location. Take your device with you on in-school days.
- If you are not able to get internet hooked up in your home, your child's teacher will work with you to provide alternative offline assignments.